The NDA exam is conducted by UPSC for admission to the Army, Navy and Air Force wings of the NDA. This exam is a gateway for candidates looking forward to joining Defence Forces including Army, Navy and Air Force. This is a national level exam conducted twice a year: NDA I and NDA II to help candidates make a career in Defence services. National Defence Academy & Naval Academy (NDA & NA) Examination will be a two-step process where candidates first need to take the exam and then qualify the personality test or interview conducted by the Service Selection Board (SSB). The UPSC is solely responsible for issuing guidelines for selection and the final conduct of the entrance examination.
NDA I & II 2022
The UPSC has released a revised exam calendar for all its recruitment examinations. Like other exams, the NDA (I) scheduled on April 10 & the NDA (II) scheduled on September 4 2022
- Mode of Exam: The paper will be held in offline (pen and paper) mode.
- Number of Sections: In the paper, there will be two sections – Mathematics & General Ability.
- Exam Duration: Candidates will be given 5 hours to complete the paper (2 hours 30 minutes each for Mathematics and GA section).
- Questions type: There will be objective type of questions in the paper.
- Paper Language: The paper will be bilingual – in English as well Hindi language.
- Marking pattern: For each wrong answer, 33% of the marks assigned to the question will be deducted.
NDA 2022 ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA
- It should be clearly noted that only unmarried male candidates, who are not born earlier than July 2, 2003 and not later than July 1, 2006 are eligible to appear for NDA 1 Exam.
- For NDA 2 2022, candidates must be born between January 2, 2004 and January 1, 2007.
- Married candidates and female candidates are ineligible to apply for NDA Exam.
- The date of birth mentioned in the application must be the same as that entered in the Matriculation or Secondary School Leaving Certificate.
- In short, candidates should be between the age of 16.5 years and 19.5 years to be eligible for the exam.
The academic qualifications vary slightly according to the post that the candidate has applied for. The details of educational qualification for different posts are specified below:
- For Army Wing of National Defence Academy: Pass certificate in 10+2 exams via recognized board or a University.
- For Air Force and Naval Wings of National Defence Academy and for the 10+2 Cadet Entry Scheme at the Indian Naval Academy: Candidates should have passed Class 12th exam in the 10+2 pattern of School Education or equivalent with Physics and Mathematics conducted by a State Education Board or a University.
- It must be noted that candidates studying in Class 11 are not eligible for appearing in NDA 2022 1 or 2.
- Those candidates who have failed INSB / PABT earlier will not be considered eligible for recruitment in the Air Force.
- Those candidates, who are currently studying in Class 12 at the time of application, must submit proof of passing the exam by the deadline. Requests for extending the due date would not be entertained on any grounds.
- It must also be noted that the candidates who have been debarred by the Ministry of Defence from holding any type of Commission in the Defence Services will be considered ineligible for admission to the exam.
NDA ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA 2022 FOR PHYSICAL FITNESS
UNDESIRABLE HEALTH ISSUES
There are certain requirements pertaining to the physical fitness or features that must be fulfilled by the candidate at the time of submitting NDA Application forms.
- The NDA eligibility criteria would vary slightly according to the post for which the candidate is applying.
- It must be understood that if a candidate has resigned or withdrawn from any of the training academies of the Armed Forces, on disciplinary grounds, he will not be considered eligible to apply for NDA 2022.
The candidate must not be suffering from any of these minor conditions at the time of medical examination –
- Wax (Ears)
- Deviated Nasal Septum
- Hydrocele / Phimosis
- Condition of Overweight / Underweight
- Under Sized Chest
CASE OF BODY TATTOOS
- The candidate must ensure that any permanent body tattoos are present only on the inner side of the forearm.
- Under no circumstances will UPSC accept tattoos on the inside of the elbow to the wrist and on the reverse side of the palm/back (dorsal) side of the hand.
- Permanent body tattoos on any other part of the body are also not acceptable.
- In case the candidate happens to belong to a tribe where it is customary to have tattoo marks on the face or body, acceptance will be granted on a case to case basis, considering the traditions involved. The decision of authorities would be final in such instances.
HEIGHT AND WEIGHT REQUIREMENTS
Army and Air Force
- Candidates must note that the minimum height measurement specified is 157 cms (162.5 cms for Air Force).
- For Gorkhas and those belonging to hills of the North-Eastern areas of India, Garhwal, and Kumaon, the minimum height will be 5 cms less than the usual figure.
- On the other hand, for candidates belonging to the Lakshadweep islands, the minimum height standard may be reduced by 2 cms.
The details in this regard are discussed below.
The standards are different for Navy posts and the particulars are also summarized below